15 December 2012

How sweet it is...



Tonight was our church’s annual birthday party for baby Jesus. Cake is a staple of this sort of festivity and my husband (the chef) volunteered to make cupcakes. Chocolate cupcakes. With chocolate frosting. They were a big hit with, well, everyone but me.  This led to much talk of chocolate. Which led to me suffering from a truly rare moment of *gasp* chocolate craving.

You see, one of the most shocking aspects of my personality is my general dislike of all things chocolate. The only consistent exception is for chocolaty beverages.  I like hot chocolate on occasion and even opt for chocolate Shakeology.  But, for the most part, rarely does a chocolate-flavored anything pass these lips. 

True-to-form, my craving was manifested in a desire for chocolate milk. Remember how I don’t like chocolate? So you can imagine how often I purchase Hershey’s syrup. Like, um, never.  You know what else? Wasn’t any way in Heaven or Hades that I was gonna change out of my jammies and drive anywhere that sold chocolate milk.

Google, Google, Google

I kept coming up with the same recipe, which is attributed to Better Homes and Gardens.
And it was YYYYUUUUU – MMMMYYYYY.

Homemade Chocolate Syrup
1 1/4 cups sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup water
dash of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a small saucepan, add sugar, cocoa, and salt. Whisk together gently. Add water. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and cook 1 minute. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Cool. Store in the refrigerator.



People think I'm all Susie-homemaker. Really, I'm just random and odd and too lazy to go to the store.



*ETA: I have to add this. Because I think it's worth a warning - I haven't been able to stop drinking chocolate milk since I made this syrup two days ago. At nearly 1pm today I realized I hadn't eaten anything yet, because I'd had like 10 glasses of chocolate milk! I think I've created an inner demon where none had previously existed.


1 comment:

WiffsWife said...

I LOVE your "random and odd" comment! I am random and odd and frequently get confusing looks from DH. lol